Lawton and Dawe Tenants – What to do in an EmergencyPosted by: Lucy Dawe | Post date: 09.03.18
The only thing guaranteed to make a bad situation worse is panicking and not knowing what to do about it. We’ve all been in those situations where a pipe has burst or water is pouring in from somewhere and you just stand their gawping or run around the place not knowing where the stopcock is or who the best person to call is. This could be even worse in a really frightening or upsetting situation like a fire. For Lawton and Dawe tenants, here are some things you can do in an emergency so you can take action straight away and not panic.
Obviously, the most important thing to do in the event of an out of control fire is to get somewhere safe and then call 999 to contact the fire service.
Once you’re safe and the fire service are on their way, contact us on 01273 917791 and press option 0 and tell us what has happened. If you live in a block of flats, you will also need to contact the block management company and tell the emergency services to contact them too.
Water and Other Non-Dangerous Emergencies
Turn your stop cock off! Then call 01273 917791 and press option 0 straight away. For flats, you will also need to contact the building management company for this too.
Things to do Immediately
When we say ‘immediately’, we mean right now while you’re reading this blog. Please, as soon as you read these things, go and do them if you haven’t already.
- Check the smoke alarm by pressing the button on it. If it doesn’t work, give us a call. (If you live in a block of flats, you should have a regularly checked and maintained fire alarm system. Check with us if you are unsure about this).
- Locate your stopcock. Ring us if you can’t find it.
- Find your electricity fuse box.
- Programme our emergency number into your phone.
- Make sure you have valid and relevant house contents insurance. If you haven’t, get some.
If you are still unsure about what to do if an emergency happens in the property you rent from us, please give us a call on 01273 917791 and we’ll talk you through it. Similarly, if you have any questions about any of this, we’d be pleased to answer those for you.